Elf on the Shelf

>> Thursday, November 24, 2011

Recently while shopping for Deco mesh to make a new Christmas wreath I happened to see a Christmas display with all these boxes of Elves. I decided to look a little closer and noted the title"Elf on the Shelf". Now, not being hip to what is taking America by storm obviously, I didn't really give it much thought. But in recent days I had begun to see this same Elf in varying poses and places on Pinterest. So, I decided to see just what the hubbub was all about. I googled it and much to my surprise this little Elf has a story and a job. He spends time in your home and each night flys back to the North Pole to report to Santa how "good" the family he lives with is doing. I can tell you without a doubt, had this same Elf been around when my sweet little children were growing up, well I would have definitely invited one to stay with us. And each day I'm sure my children would have "looked" to find him hiding about in our house. I can imagine their excitement to spy him in certain spots or places. I would have taken great care to hide him, pose him and would have had lots of fun telling the kids stories of this little elf's antics.


Years ago, at least as far back as the mid 90's I actually bought a couple of elves. I had seen this display at Pottery Plus with these elves climbing a little ladder that had been placed up against a tree. It looked as if they were decorating the tree. I bought them during the "after Christmas sale" and packed them up. I never saw them again. True story.



Over the years as each Christmas came, I would look in our boxes of Christmas stuff, but those little elves never turned up. When we moved out here to Castle Hayne I found the ladder which had fallen apart, so I threw it away. As the years passed, I would think of those elves every now and then and wonder where in the world did they go. It bothered me that they had just mysteriously disappeared. I even thought at one time that maybe I looked at them but never bought them but then I would remember the ladder.


You can imagine my surprise, when last week they turned up! If they could only talk! There they were in a white box with a few other things, looking as good as new. Wrapped in plastic and at least 15yrs old. Now, they don't look like the "Elf on the shelf" little elf except for their faces and they are dressed in green with striped legs instead of all red. But I do believe I will find them a nice little spot to sit and take in the festivites during our holiday season.

1 comments:

Laurie Elaine, Ph.D,  November 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

In my years of babysitting I read the Elf on the Shelf and I also found him in a lot of hidden situations. It's pretty cute - but I'm going to have to check out this Pinterest thing...

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP