"Lesson Learned"

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We've made progress on readying the raised beds to be moved! I ended up moving the 10 ft long raised bed to the front bird garden to plant flowers in. This is mainly because I read you should not use the same dirt/compost to plant successive plantings of tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes. Since 2 of my tomato plants appeared to have developed southern wilt late in the season, it would not be wise to replant and possibly transmit the virus to the new plants. So the decomposed hay bales in those beds had to be consolidated. Flowers are unaffected by the virus and can be planted, without any problems in last years bales/compost. I bought some dahlia bulbs to plant, so I'll think that's what I'll start with in the new bed.

I thought I would be able to save some money by not buying so many hay bales this year. Oh well. Lesson learned, should have known I would have to be careful of the virus. But on the other side of the coin, I'll be getting fresh compost for the flower beds every year. Recycling at it's finest! They recommend spaying a diluted bleach solution mix on any containers you will be reusing. So after the beds are moved into place - they'll get a little sterilizing before the new bales go in.

On a brighter note I think I will only have to buy 14 bales. I'm hoping I can get them for ~ $2, so my cost will be $28 + tax. Plants will probably run another $10-12 for the tomatoes, pepper plants. I'll be planting the squash, cukes from seed.

So for under $50, I'll have my little garden of fresh veggies! It will be work and dedication to bring in a full crop, but it will be worth every penny when I cut into the 1st fresh tomato of the season. MMMMMmmmmmmm!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP