Farmer's Supply (and a change of mind)

>> Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Today I had a 1/2 day for education, so when I got off, I went by Farmer's supply. They will be getting in their tomato and other vegetable plants in the next couple of weeks. They already have all kinds of lettuce plants ready to go. Yesterday at Walmart, I noticed they already had tomato and herb plants for sale. Now, after looking at the situation, I've realized I may be a little on the late side to plant seeds, or at least for the 1st planting anyway. After talking with Monty, I've changed my mind and have decided to buy my plants for the 1st planting. If he can fit in building a small greenhouse(he has a very long list of to-do's)then we may start seeds for the 2nd planting. I'll just hang onto my seeds and hopefully try then.

I have an idea of how I want the little greenhouse to be, and since it will be a true greenhouse I won't need to do a hoop house. We already have 2 panels of glass from a sliding glass door set, plus I have 2 shower doors. I'll just have to figure out how to arrange them for paneled glass walls. It will also give me a couple of weeks to hit the Habitat house to see if I can pick up any old windows or sliding glass door panels they may have. I plan to use the corrugated plastic panels for the roof. I have a long table made from treated wood that will be the perfect potting table! And I think I would like to have some sort of tool rack to neaten up the small spades and pruners.

We'll be moving the raised beds hopefully this weekend(have to cut down 3 small sweet gum trees that are in the way). Next will come the new straw bales and they need to be pretreated for 10 days. I want to have everything ready to go by May 15. Farmer's Almanac says our best planting dates for our area (for tomatoes) is May 24.

My other project to try this year will be growing potatoes using the trash can or bin method. They say you can also grow peanuts by this method as well. I may try both if I can come up with a bin of sorts(another project by Monty and subject to his time availability)

Oh my, so much too do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP